Egypt’s soccer federation said Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah will miss two Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.
The 27-year-old was left clutching his left ankle following a challenge by Fernandinho during the first half Sunday’s Premier League clash with Manchester City at Anfield.
He was able to continue after receiving treatment and went on to score Liverpool’s crucial second goal, before eventually being substituted after 87 minutes.
Salah then immediately linked up with his national side for games against Kenya and Comoros Islands as planned. But after being assessed by the Egypt physios it was decided that he withdraw in order to give more time for the injury to heal.
Salah watched his teammates train near Alexandria on Tuesday with the federation tweeting a photo of Salah wearing a protective boot on his left foot.
The medical team said, it is the same ankle injury sustained following a late challenge by Leicester’s Hamza Choudhury at the start of last month.
Mohamed Salah is out of Egypt’s #AFCON2021 qualifiers against Kenya and Comoros after aggravating an ankle injury. pic.twitter.com/sHJYT6kU32
— Ahmad Yousef (@EgyptianPlayers) November 12, 2019
Salah arrived to Egypt training on Monday and was eager to participate but his injury, according to Egypt’s Doctor Mohamed Abu-El Ela, needed time to rehabilitate.
The injury is the same one that bothered him with Liverpool following the club’s match against Leicester City in the Premier League.
Salah has been unable to complete 90 minutes in the league since hurting his ankle against Leicester, being substituted against Tottenham Hotspur, Aston Villa and Manchester City.